WORKSHEET 1: COLOSSIANS 1:1-2
© Rosemary Bardsley 2014
Read Colossians 1:1-2. Answer these questions:
1. Who wrote this letter?
2. How does the main writer describe himself?
3. What does ‘apostle of Christ Jesus’ mean?
4. How did he become and apostle?
5. Suggest what he means by ‘by the will of God’.
6. Study these Scriptures: Acts 9:1-16; 22:1-21; 26:9-20. What do you learn about the role of God’s sovereign will in Paul’s life?
7. Is there any evidence that Paul was actively asking God to show him his will, or was intervention of God in his life God’s sole initiative?
8. How does this contrast with the preoccupation with ‘finding the will of God’ evident in some Christians today?
9. To whom is the letter addressed?
10. Define who is referred to by the word ‘holy’.
11. What do you understand by the term ‘faithful brothers’.
12. Where was the town of Colosse located?
13. What was Paul’s previous contact with or knowledge of the church in Colosse?
14. How did Paul close off his greeting?
15. What do you understand by the two words ‘grace’ and ‘peace’?
16. Who is the source of this grace and peace?