STUDIES IN HEBREWS
© Rosemary Bardsley, 2002
This book was written to Hebrew (Jewish) Christians who were standing on the brink of letting go of Jesus Christ and his salvation, and returning to Judaism. Pressure was upon them from two sides:
- from Jews, who may or may not have been Christians, who taught the necessity of conforming to Jewish ritual, and
- from the horrific persecution which they were experiencing, because of their Christian faith, at the hands of the Roman Caesars.
The focus of the writer is the supremacy and superiority of Christ, both in his person and his work. To this supremacy and superiority he repeatedly draws the attention of his readers to demonstrate to them the foolishness of forsaking this Christ and this salvation for something far inferior.
Traditionally the author of this letter was considered to be Paul; more recently some scholars have contested the accuracy of this tradition.
- STUDY 1: A POWERFUL INTRODUCTION TO GOD'S SON
- STUDY 2: GOD'S SON IS SUPERIOR TO ANGELS
- STUDY 3: A WARNING TO PAY ATTENTION
- STUDY 4: THE HUMAN NATURE OF JESUS
- STUDY 5: A SABBATH REST FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD
- STUDY 6: OUR GREAT HIGH PRIEST
- STUDY 7: THE ONCE-FOR-ALL SACRIFICE OF CHRIST
- STUDY 8: WARNINGS AGAINST UNBELIEF
- STUDY 9: A CHAPTER ABOUT FAITH
- STUDY 10: A DEEPER LOOK AT TEMPTATION
- STUDY 11: THEREFORE ...
- STUDY 12: THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF FAITH
- STUDY 13: THE WAY/COST OF SONSHIP/DISCIPLESHIP
- STUDY 14: POINTERS FOR PERSEVERANCE UNDER PRESSURE
- STUDY 15: LIVING EXPRESSIONS OF LIVING FAITH
- Barth, Karl 'Dogmatics in Outline', 1966, SCM, London.
- Bruce, FF 'The Epistle to the Hebrews', 1965, Marshall, Morgan and Scott, London.
- Calvin, John 'The Institutes of the Christian Religion', 1973 printing, The Westminster Press, Philadelphia.
- Epp, Theodore 'Why do Christians Suffer?' 1970, Good News Broadcasting Association, USA.
- Luther, Martin 'Galatians', (domain material)
- Pink, Arthur W 'Comfort for Christians', Baker.
- Schaeffer, Francis A 'Genesis in Space and Time', 1972, IVP, Illinois.
- 'The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century', The Complete Works of Francis A Schaeffer, 1991, Crossway Books, Illinois.
- Vines,WE 'The Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words' 1966, Oliphants, London.
- 'The Book of Confessions', 1970, General Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church, USA.