THE BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS OF MARRIAGE
Copyright © Rosemary Bardsley 2004
We live in a post-Christian world - a world characterized by secularism (which denies the existence of God), relativism (which denies the existence of absolute truth and absolute moral standards), and subjectivism (which interprets life and meaning from the perspective of personal impressions and feelings rather than through the objective revelation of God recorded by the prophets and apostles and called 'the Bible').
This post-modern mindset leaves people with no real perception of 'truth', no real understanding of their own identity and value, and no boundaries. It is a destructive mindset that often leads to meaningless, hopelessness and despair.
Marriage is one of the casualties.
This series of studies assumes that God is there and that the Bible is his inspired, authoritative, absolute Word, relevant for all people, in all places, at all times. The studies call us right back to the Biblical foundations, not only of marriage, but of our very existence as human beings. They challenge us to relate to ourselves, our marriage partners, and our marriage in a way that reflects the high value God has placed on us by virtue of creation and by virtue of salvation. They inform us of the devastating changes that entered the world in Genesis 3, and they urge us to live out in our marriages the costly principles of grace and forgiveness demonstrated and implemented by Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.
As you work through these studies ask the Lord
- to help you to see and to accept what the Scripture verses are saying,
- to create in you a willingness to submit to his Word,
- to transform you as his Word changes the way you think about issues,
- to help you understand his principles and his boundaries,
- and to enable you to see that your marriage partner is his treasured possession, his dearly loved child.
PART ONE: THE CREATION FACTOR
- Study One: Value and Dignity
- Study Two: Equality, Unity and Differentiation
PART TWO: THE SIN FACTOR
- Study Three: Death and Division
- Study Four: Curse and Condemnation
- Study Five: The Necessity of Law in a Fallen World
PART THREE: THE INCARNATION FACTOR
- Study 6: Three Significant Affirmations
- Study 7: Affirmation of the Dignity and Equality of Women
- Study 8: Affirmation of Male Leadership
PART FOUR: THE REDEMPTION, REGENERATION, RECONCILIATION FACTOR
- Study Nine: You are married to God's Special Treasure
- Study Ten: In Christ - a whole new set-up
- Study Eleven: Love One Another As I Have Loved You
PART FIVE: THE 'NOT YET' FACTOR
- Study Twelve: Separation, Divorce and Remarriage
- Study Thirteen: Biblical Perspectives and Priorities
PART SIX: THE CELEBRATION FACTOR
- Study Fourteen: Marriage - a Celebration