JESUS CHRIST - SUPERSTAR OR LORD OF ALL CREATION?
The rock opera 'Jesus Christ Superstar' leaves each member of the audience with the question in his mind: Who is Jesus? Was he man? Or, was he God?
The biblical writers leave us with no such questions. They make two facts undeniably clear:
Jesus Christ is a man.Jesus Christ is God.
Matthew does it right at the beginning of his gospel:
- Chapter 1:1-17 - Christ's human genealogy
- 1:23 - "they will call him Immanuel - which means 'God with us'".
John also does it at the beginning:
- 1:1-5 - stresses Christ's eternal deity - 'the Word was God'
- 1:14 - the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us'
Paul does it:
- Rmans 1:3-4: 'regarding his Son, who as to his human nature was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.'
The writer to the Hebrews does it:
- Chapter 1: Jesus is God, the Son of God
- Chapter 2: Jesus is man
But Mark makes it his theme - that this very obviously human Jesus is also the Lord of all. From Mark's very first verse 'The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God' Jesus Christ marches through the gospel of Mark in absolute control of all circumstances.
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OVER MEN
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OF THE TRUTH
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OVER EVIL SPIRITS
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OVER SIN
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OVER THE LAW
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OF NATURE
Mark 4:35-41 [Psalm 107:28ff]
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OF LIFE AND DEATH
True understanding of the deity and authority of Christ comes only from God: Mark 8:29; Matthew 16:17
Jesus himself testified to his identity as Lord: Mark 14:61-62
The resurrection and ascension give final testimony to the deity of Christ - Mark 16:1-8, 19.